Monster Energy Drinks are a widely known and popular beverage but the notorious brand is on the brink of a meltdown after the US Food and Drug Administration announced yesterday that they were investigating five deaths and one heart attack possibly related to the product.
One of the deaths was 14-year-old Anais Fournier, whose family sued Monster Beverage Corp on Friday. Fournier died after consuming two cans of the Monster Energy Drink over the course of 24 hours. According to the lawsuit, just two of the popular drinks contain 480 milligrams of caffeine – the equivalent to 14 12-ounce cans of Coke. Fournier’s official cause of death was “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.” The young girl’s family is suing the company for failing to warn about the products dangers.
Meanwhile, Monster Beverage Corp is adamantly denying their product has anything to do with any of the reported deaths. A spokesperson for the company released this statement after the lawsuit was filed:
“Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks.”
Regardless of the statement, the news is having a significant impact on the company’s growth. After the FDA’s announcement yesterday, the Monster Beverage Corp’s shares fell more than 14 percent.
Educating individuals on the dangers of consuming energy drinks (especially young teens) or mixing these drinks with alcohol has been a controversial issue for many years. While government officials and health advocates believe warning people of the dangers of the drinks will help reduce these types of incidences, the company’s are worried their profitability may drop due to consumer concern.
In the second quarter of 2012, Monster Beverage Corp had net sales of $592.6 million.
Do you think consumers should be warned of the dangers of energy drinks?